Sunday, February 2, 2014

Word Problem Graphic Organizer

I don’t know about you, but many of my kiddos have a difficult time processing word problems—especially multi-step word problems. Over the last couple of weeks, I have been developing an 8 step graphic organizer designed to help my students think through the steps of solving any type of word problem.

  • The graphic organizer may be displayed on an interactive whiteboard for whole class discussions.
  • Students may keep a copy of the Problem Solving Strategy Graphic Organizer in their journals as a reference. Then, write the numbers 1-8 as they solve word problems.
  • The teacher may choose to laminate the graphic organizer so that students may use fine tip dry erase markers to solve their problems.
  • I have included a jpeg of the printable so that the teacher may order a poster from a company that makes poster from pictures. If you had a laminated poster, small groups of students could complete the Problem Solving Strategy Graphic Organizer together. One fun way is with sticky notes. 
Click here to get your FREE Word Problem Graphic Organizer! 

updated 1/11/16

4 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm constantly trying to get my kiddos to think through the problem that is posed to them! I can't wait to use this!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brooke. I love this organizer! I used it with my kids today on the screen. I want to print a "real" copy for their notebooks, but I can't find it in your TPT store. Am I just missing it somehow?

    Thanks for helping me,

    Sally
    Teaching's a Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Sally. I am not sure what happened to the link for this Freebie, but I have reloaded it and it is back up working.
    Thanks again,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete