Saturday, November 2, 2013

Scavenger Hunt



This week, my students created an “ways to make _#_” poster. After a brief mini lesson, pairs of students were given a numeral card containing a number less than 100. First, students used 1-inch square tiles to build all the possible arrays of their number. Next, students cut arrays out of grid paper and glued them onto an 11x17 piece of copy paper. My kiddos also wrote the dimensions on the outside of each array and listed the all of the factors from least to greatest. In years past, I have allowed my students to work on their posters for 3-4 days, but I found the richness is in the discussion afterward not in the poster making itself. This year for day 2, I created a scavenger hunt and a complete set of posters. I wanted to have my own set of posters that I knew were accurate and easy to read for the scavenger hunt. We began day 2 with a scavenger hunt which required students to look at the posters for number of arrays, dimensions, and factors. My students LOVED the scavenger hunt! They were completely engaged. Afterward we had a great discussion on prime numbers, composite numbers, square numbers, and odd numbers. I have created a set of printable factor posters. Check them out in my TpT store. 

27 Factor Posters




Last week, we made an array city on the wall outside our classroom. This great idea came from E is for Explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment